Saturday, May 5, 2012

Blog 6

Blog 6 - How did the third contemporary issue effect your principles? What more have you found that you need to reasonably respond to these moral issues beyond a set of principles? Are their other skills or knowledge that will make you a more effective ethical being? What are they?


The third contemporary issue that we discussed was the dealth penalty.  This has always been an issue that cause me to say "but" so many times.  I don't believe that I have a set opinion on this issue.  If a person commits murder, my first thought would be that they go to jail until they die.  I don't believe that it should be a few years or anything like that.  They took a person out of society therefore, they should not be allowed back in it.  I never thought that killing them in return was a good idea.  I'm not sure why, but it seems kind of crazy to me that if you kill someone or commit a bad enough crime that you have to die too.  I don't believe that an eye for an eye is the best way to go.  Then I think, "What if they killed someone I know?" and this is where the "but" comes in.  It seems sort of selfish that my ideas change when it affects me personally, but if someone killed one of my friends or family, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that they still got to live.


This bring in the second question of "What more have you found that you need to reasonably respond to these moral issues beyond a set of principles?".  This issue has caused me to understand myself more deeply.  In order to make a set opinion on the death penalty, I would have to be more empathetic for the billions of other people in the world.  Like I've stated before,  don't believe that an eye for an eye is the right way to go about things.  But I become angry and upset and I wouldn't mind an exception if it were someone I knew.  When I put it this way, the families of the people who are murdered have feelings too. And they would want the same things that I would: justice.  This being said, I've answered my own dilemna- the death penalty is something I would support.

I commented on Alex Richard's blog http://ethicalwellbeing-richardsa.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment