Blog 3 - What Social / Moral Principles do you find compelling and why? How do these principles fit with the personal principles you identified in Blog 2? Do they conflict at all? Do you think you can live according to both? How will you go about doing so? i.e. Prioritize them? Adopt specific ones for specific contexts?
The
reading on social morality was probably the most interesting one we’ve read so
far. Not because there were tons of cool
ideas and information, but because the issues that arose brought truth and
meaning to so many things that happen every day. This reading basically describes society as a
contract, where the people who inhabit it are “ruled” by the government. The principles that interested me the most
were the ones regarding paternalism and public morality because they seem the
most prevalent in everyday society.
The
principle of paternalism struck me because I automatically thought of
parenting. Are all people being treated
like children in society? There is a
paragraph about general welfare and it is followed up by the paternalism
principle. Therefore, we’re led to
believe that the government can oversee what we do and monitor it so that we
are living according to their standards, and what is best for the people as a
whole. In my previous blog, I wrote
about how we’re all going to die one day, and that life should be lived to the
fullest. However, this idea of
paternalism could hinder people’s ideas of what ‘fullest’ really is.
If I
were to live my life to the fullest, it would not work out because of the hold
the government has on our society. If a
pyromaniac gets a thrill from lighting fires and that s all they want to do for
the rest of their lives, they won’t be able to live their life to the
fullest. With the limitations of laws
and morals, many people’s ideas of a full life are at a disadvantage. So it is still a question if anyone is truly living
out their lives the way they want to.
The answer will forever be unknown, however, because society will always
be monitored in some way, shape, or form.
I commented on http://ashantijones.blogspot.com/ 's blog.
I commented on http://ashantijones.blogspot.com/ 's blog.
I commented on Ashanti's blog http://ashantijones.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete